Inspired by the Pokémon Franchise, this RPG pairs players with a mythological beast and puts them into a world full of political intrigue.
I am a big fan of the Pokémon franchise ever since I was a child. I always wanted to see a more mature and raw approach to the whole fighting system and having those little creatures as companions.
After I started reading the His Dark materials book series, I came up with the idea to create a RPG set in a world that, similar to Game of Thrones, is full with intrigue, murder and blackmail. In this case, players decide for one singular mythological beast and stick with them to the end. If the player dies, the beast dies and vice versa, which becomes critically important when deciding to fight another NPC “for death“.
As a heir of the throne, all eyes are on the player as they decide to go through the world relentlessly killing their opponents and their beasts, or decide to play the game of politics and influence those around them.
My goals for this project:
- Create a companion system that lets the beast follow and interact with the player
- Create a combat mockup fighting system with visual scripting tools in Unity to let two beasts fight against each other, with player giving commands
- Create a rough city and countryside mockup
- Create a quest system, including writing actual quests to give a glimpse into the narrative
- Design a fraction and honor system mockup that feeds off of dialogue choices and combat outcomes